BLTC Press Titles


available for Kindle at Amazon.com


The Pictorial Key to the Tarot

Arthur Edward Waite


The Worm Ouroboros

E. R. Eddison


The Revolt of the Netherlands

Friedrich Schiller


The Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde


Chilcott's new guide to Bristol, Clifton and the Hotwells

by John Chilcott

Excerpt:

THIS Church was founded by the Knights Templars;—their device is here a Lion bearing a cross, which has been considered by some a mistake of the sculptor for a Lamb. The Lion, however, has got his advocates, and the device is repeated in the form of the weather-vane. The soil was evidently once a marsh, to which is attributed the sinking-in of one side of the tower, which renders its appearance quite appalling: it is, notwithstanding, pronounced to stand secure, though it has actually separated itself from the church. Speaking of this circumstance, a Flemish author as long ago as 1576 observes, "Abraham Ortelius wrote me word, that himself put a stone of the size of a goose egg into the chink, which, as the bells rang he saw himself give downwards, as the place was narrow or wide, and at length, by the frequent collission was squeezed to pieces: and that when he put his back against the tower, he was afraid he should be oppressed by its fall. That the mayor and others of authority there told him the whole fabrick of this church formerly shook and was like to fall, before the chink was made there, and with such force that the lamps were put out and the oil wasted: of this there were many living witnesses in that parish. But the church now, because it is not affected by the sound of the bells, stands without motion." The tower is said to stand at this present time four feet from the perpendicular.

In 1788, a remarkable impostor, supposed to be possessed of the powers of ventriloquism, greatly duped the then Vicar of Temple, the Rev. Mr. Easterbrook, with many others. The following is the title of a pamphlet published at the time, "A Narrative of the extraordinary case of George Lukins, of Yatton, Somersetshire, who was possessed of Evil Spirits for near eighteen years. Also an Account of his remarkable Deliverance in the Vestry Room of Temple Church, in the City of Bristol. Extracted from the Manuscripts of several persons who attended; with the Rev. Mr. Easterbrook's Letter annexed, authenticating the particulars which occurred at Temple Church."

There is still in the church a curious brass sconce, with twelve branches; on the top are the Virgin and Child, and under them St. George killing the dragon, of very neat workmanship, probably used in the time of the Knights Templars. There is a chapel here, which was formerly used by the Weavers' Company.

The 26th of King Henry VIII. a great controversy arose betwixt the Lord Prior of St. John of Jerusalem, in England, and the mayor and commonalty of Bristol, relating to the privilege of sanctuary in Temple Street, of holding a

a court, &c. &c. which was referred to the Chief Justice and Chief Baron, who declared that the liberty of sanctuary should be void. King Henry soon afterwards settled all disputes by the Dissolution.

Temple Meads, being part of the lands belonging to the house of the Knights Templars, were exempt from tythes, and are so to this day; the corporation holding those lands in the same manner as the religious did.

There was once an establishment of Augustine Friars where the streets called the Great Gardens now stand in this parish; and another religious house or monastery, just within the spot where stood the city gate, Temple Street.

CHURCH OF
ST. PHILIP AND JACOB*

THIS church is supposed to have been the chapel of some Benedictines, subject to the

* This is evidently a bad translation of the word Jacobus—since this church was frequently called in old deeds, "St. Jacobus of the Market," to distinAbbey of Tewkesbury: its early history appears to be very uncertain. The following is somewhat curious. In 1279, 12th September, process was issued out of the office of the Bishop of Worcester against Peter de la Mare, constable of the Castle of Bristol, and others his accomplices, for infringing the privileges of the church, in taking one William de Lay, who fled for refuge to the churchyard of St. Philip and Jacob, for carrying him into the castle and imprisoning him, and lastly cutting off his head. Nine or ten being involved in this crime, their sentence was to go from the Church of the Friars Minor, in Lewin's Mead, to the Church of St. Philip and Jacob, through the streets naked, except their breeches and in their shirts, for four market days for four weeks, each receiving discipline all the way: and Peter de la Mare was enjoined to build a 6tone cross at the expense of one hundred shillings at least, that one hundred poor be fed round it on a certain day every year, and


... from the RetroRead library, using Google Book Search, and download any of the books already converted to Kindle format.

Browse the 100 most recent additions to the RetroRead library

Browse the library alphabetically by title

Make books:

Login or register to convert Google epubs to Kindle ebooks

username:

password:

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Register here, and convert any Google epub you wish


Powerd by Calibre powered by calibre