BLTC Press Titles


available for Kindle at Amazon.com


The Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde


The Haunted Bookshop

Christopher Morely


Letters on the Aesthetical Education of Man

Friedrich Schiller


The Count of Monte Cristo

Alexandre Dumas


Colonial architecture

by Frank Cousins

Excerpt:

In 1888, Mr. Frank Cousins, a native of Salem, began taking photographs of architectural subjects in Salem, his enthusiasm was so aroused that he has for years devoted his whole time to the subject and he has collected a unique series of photographs. His taste and appreciation of what is good, by association and love of Salem and his long intercourse with architects throughout the country, has given him the faculty of selection and elimination which few possess.

It is from a collection of 1300 negatives of Salem work that Mr. Cousins, acting in connection with the advice of capable architects, will make a selection for the illustrations of this publication on Salem. These photographs cover houses, with their exterior and interior decorations, gardens, and garden furniture, streets with their planting, and old tombs with their excellent examples of lettering.

After a careful study of the larger part of Mr. Cousins' valuable collection of photographs, while making a selection for the Avery Library, Columbia University, I feel that there could be no more valuable work on Colonial Architecture, for an architect to have on his shelves, for daily use in his office.

Glenn Brown.

LlNDALL-OsGOOD HOUSE DOORWAY, 314 ESSEX STREET, Salem, Mass.

Description

Erected in 1745. First owned by the Lindall sisters, then by Gibbs, it is now known as the Osgood House.

Frame house with gambrel roof. The doorway as well as other ornamental work is hand carved. The interior has a remarkable landscape paper on the walls of the front hall while in the rear is the well-kept old garden, one of the best in Salem.

Historical Data

Count Rumford, Benjamin Tompson, as a boy lived in this house in 1766, where he made some of his early experiments.

The Barnard-andrews House, 393 Essex Street, Salem, Mass.

Description

Erected in 1747. Owned by James Lindall, occupied in 1776 by Rev. Thomas Barnard, and now known as the Andrews House.

Frame house, very simple and dignified. The doorway has a good example of glass work around it and on it a typical Colonial knocker. The Colonial gate posts have been restored, the old model of 1747 having been closely followed.

Historical Data

Parson Thomas Barnard of the old North Church lived in the house during the Revolution. On the Sunday morning, February 26,1775, he dismissed the congregation and took his stand at the North Bridge, Salem, where the first armed resistance and the retreat of Leslie and his British soldiers took place.

The Pineapple House, 7 Brown Street Court, Salem, Mass.

Description

Erected in 1750. Owned by Thomas Poynton. The doorway was removed in 1911. The house is wood, the boards imitating rustic stone work. It has a good example of the broken pediment which belonged to this period, the carved pineapple in the pediment is said to have been brought over on one of the Captain's own ships. It was kept brightly gilded and the leaves around it were painted green.

The Downing Street House, 6 Downing Street, Salem, Mass.

Description

Frame house, erected 1750, with a very simple doorway, and a typical broken pediment. This doorway has frequently been copied.

The Downing Street House

Description

This is another view of Plate IV., showing the side paneling and side lights in the vestibule.

"the Lindens," Danvers, Mass.


... from the RetroRead library, using Google Book Search, and download any of the books already converted to Kindle format.

Browse the 100 most recent additions to the RetroRead library

Browse the library alphabetically by title

Make books:

Login or register to convert Google epubs to Kindle ebooks

username:

password:

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Register here, and convert any Google epub you wish


Powerd by Calibre powered by calibre