BLTC Press Titles


available for Kindle at Amazon.com


Leaves of Grass

Walt Whitman


The Worm Ouroboros

E. R. Eddison


Letters on the Aesthetical Education of Man

Friedrich Schiller


Knowledge of Higher Worlds and its Attainment

Rudolf Steiner


Illustrated history of Atlanta

by Edward Young Clarke

Excerpt:

The site chosen, as mentioned in the foregoing chapter, was known for a number of years as Terminus. The first house built near it, or within village distance of it, was a log shanty, erected by Mr. Hardy Ivy, in the year 1836. To " Cousin John" Thrasher belongs the honor of erecting the second house, in 1839, in which year "Cousin John" was the only inhabitant, save an old woman and her daughter, who, a year or two later, were retailing cakes and root beer to passers-by. There were a few people in the neighborhood, generally very poor; women wearing no shoes, and dirt-floors being the

prevailing style. The country itself was wild— traversed by none unless Creek or Cherokee Indians, or by straggling white adventurers.

In 1840, 1841 and 1842, a few persons moved upon the ground and became neighbors of "Cousin John," who had also been enterprising enough to organize a store, the first in our history; and in the keeping of which he associated with him a man by the name of Johnson, the firm name being Johnson & Thrasher. This was the first business firm, as well as the first store, within the village precincts. "Cousin John" did not take a hopeful view of the future of Terminus, for in 1842, three years later, he sold out and moved to Griffin. At this time very little progress had been made in population, there being not more than a half dozen dwellings, or about three or four families at the close of the year. But in another direction there had been decided progress. The construction of the Western & Atlantic Railroad had been prosecuted slowly, but steadily, the turbid stream of the Chattahoochee had been spann and Marietta reached.

This year is distinguished by the arrival of the first engine, called the Florida, which was brought from Madison, the then terminus of the Georgia Railroad, in a wagon drawn by sixteen mules. This was a most enlivening spectacle, and assembled the people from all the country round about, at least five hundred, it is said, accompanying the engine from the village of Decatur and below. This was the first of the great succession of crowds collecting at or near the Whitehall street crossing, then to do homage to that wonderful invention of human genius, the steam engine—since that time to impatiently await its pleasure in moving out of the way. The engine was successfully placed upon the track, and with a box car brought from Milledgeville made a trip to Marietta, December 24th. The engineer wasW. F' Adair, who is now employed at New Holland Springs.

This year is also noted for the first real estate sale at public auction—Mr. Fred. Arms being the auctioneer. He had sub-divided Mitchell's lot—the same, a part of which has made such a conspicuous figure in later times—but succeeded in selling only three of the sub divisions, Mr. David Dougherty buying one, Mr. Wash Collier another, and Mr. Arms himself buying a third. Mr. Wash Collier still owns his lot upon which stands the drug store building at the junction of Line and Decatur streets with Peachtree and Marietta.

In this year, or the succeeding one, the first two story framed house was built, and is stand

ing to the present day on Peters street, across from Trinity Church. It is the property of Mr. E.

W. Holland, of our candy manufacturing firm of Jack & Holland. The house was removed to its present location from the rear of the Republic block, where it was

Engineer's Office. first erected by

the State Road authorities for the use of the engineers and other officers of the road. It was afterwards occupied as a boarding house—the first in our history. The accompanying design of the building as it now stands, is a fac simile of what it was in 1842, with the exception of the little shed room, and an extension of the original porch over the door. Few citizens are aware of its existence, and it is quite a curiosity under the circumstances, surrounded as it is by princely mansions and magnificent structures of brick and stone. In it, as book-keeper for the Western & Atlantic Railroad, Judge L. E. Bleckly passed the first three years of his citizenship, and Mr. J. Norcross, one of the first mayors of the city, slept away his first night.


... from the RetroRead library, using Google Book Search, and download any of the books already converted to Kindle format.

Browse the 100 most recent additions to the RetroRead library

Browse the library alphabetically by title

Make books:

Login or register to convert Google epubs to Kindle ebooks

username:

password:

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Register here, and convert any Google epub you wish


Powerd by Calibre powered by calibre