BLTC Press Titles


available for Kindle at Amazon.com


The Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde


Paradoxes of the Highest Science

Eliphas Levi


The Pictorial Key to the Tarot

Arthur Edward Waite


Letters on the Aesthetical Education of Man

Friedrich Schiller


Past and present of Tippecanoe County, Indiana

by Richard Patten DeHart

Excerpt:

It was about one hundred and seventy-five years ago that the Pottawatomies took, either forcibly or by permission, possession of the Miamis' territory in this state and continued to occupy it until they were removed to the far West, until which date they exercised the rights of ownership and took part in the various treaties with the general government. That portion of Tippecanoe county which the Pottawatomies occupied was mostly north of the Wabash and to the east and south of the Tippecanoe river.

The Indian tribe known as the Weas, an immediate branch of the Miamis, owned and occupied a large tract of land to the south of the Wabash, and mainly west of Wea creek, principally covered by the extensive and fertile prairie known by that name, including the ancient town of Ouiatenon, a trading post founded by French Jesuits somewhere about the close of the seventeenth century, or very early in the eighteenth century.

On the north side of the Wabash river, and opposite the lands of the Weas, the Kickapoos held dominion. The principal towns of the Kickapoos were destroyed by Generals Scott and Wilkinson in 1791. They and their near neighbors on the east, the Pottawatomies, about the year 1803-06, granted to Tecumseh and his brother, the Prophet, and their adherents, a small tract on the north side of the Wabash, and westward from the mouth of Tippecanoe river, which was almost, if not wholly occupied by the Prophet's Town.

South of the Weas a band of the Shawnees occupied a tract of country, chiefly prairie, on which one of their villages was located.

The Winnebagoes occupied a town on the Wild Cat creek, just above its mouth, which town was destroyed by General Hopkins in November. 1812.

THE MIAMIS.

When the white race first knew the Miamis, this powerful tribe of North American Indians possessed and occupied a territory greater in extent than any other on the continent.

Because of this widely extended dominion of the Miamis, together with its numerous branch-families, they came to be known as the Miami Confederacy. We find among them no traditions that they had ever occupied any other territory, hence it is but reasonable to suppose that they were never a migratory people.

As early as the latter half of the seventeenth century the existence of villages and settlements by members of the tribe along the banks of the Wabash, the Ohio rivers and lakes is well settled, and that they were visited by explorers and missionaries, and still later by traders.

By the treaty of St. Mary's, October 6, 1818, the United States acquired title to the following territory: "Beginning at the Wabash river, where the present Indian boundary line crosses the same, near the mouth of the Raccoon creek; thence up the Wabash river to the reserve at its head, near Fort Wayne; thence to the reserve of Fort Wayne; thence with the lines thereof to the St. Mary's river; thence up the St. Mary's river to the reservation at the portage ; thence with the line of the cession made by the Wyandotte nation of Indians to the United States, at the foot of the rapids of the Miami of Lake Erie, September 29, 1817, to the reservation at Loramie's store; thence with the present Indian boundary line to Fort Recovery; and with the said line, following the course thereof, to the place of beginning."

SHAWNEE MOUND AND VILLAGE ANCIENT.

Shawnee Mound is a natural elevation, seventy-five feet from base to summit, and is situated on the farm long owned by Jesse Meharry. During the clays of Indian supremacy in Indiana it was the noted rendezvous around which clustered the warriors of the then powerful tribes from which its name is derived.

The Shawnee village was situated west of this point on what later'became known as Longlois Reserve. It has been stated by Peter Longlois, many years since, that he had known of as many as fifteen hundred Indian warriors, with their families, to be congregated at this point, making a total of nearly, if not fully, six thousand souls in the "village."


... from the RetroRead library, using Google Book Search, and download any of the books already converted to Kindle format.

Browse the 100 most recent additions to the RetroRead library

Browse the library alphabetically by title

Make books:

Login or register to convert Google epubs to Kindle ebooks

username:

password:

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Register here, and convert any Google epub you wish


Powerd by Calibre powered by calibre